Friday, September 4, 2009

Watch Out Colicchio

Because Ava might be coming after your job in a few years! Maybe that's a little ambitious, but I definitely thing she has inherited my love for cooking! She's always asking to help out in the kitchen, but last night she said that she wanted to cook dinner! She has a great little Sesame Street cookbook that her Aunt April gave her a couple of years ago, and I told her she could pick any recipe out of it and make it. She picked "Abby Cadabby" Bowtie Pasta, and after we made some alterations to the recipe, she embarked upon her first (semi) solo cooking experience. I chopped the veggies, measured out the olive oil and seasoning, and boiled the pasta...but the rest she pretty much did on her own. I was so proud of her, not just because she actually did it, but because it was GOOD!

Here's our version of what will forever be known as Abby Cadabby Pasta in our house: (the original is carrots, sliced ham and parsley...not all that appealing, and I'm thankful she let me take a few liberties!)

7 oz Farfalle (bowtie) pasta
1 small zucchini thinly sliced
1 carrot thinly sliced or 10-12 baby carrots
Large handful of cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter (we used smart balance)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese...or that's about what it looked like while I was watching her shake it in :)
salt and pepper to taste

While pasta is boiling:

Add olive oil to large skillet (on med heat) then add carrots and saute for 3-4 min. Add zucchini and seasoning, saute for 2-3 more min. Add tomatoes and turn skillet to low. I like my veggies al dente, but if you're a soggy veggie fan, up the cooking time and/or temp a bit.
Drain pasta and add to skillet (reserve just a little pasta water and add to skillet as well). Add butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Quick, healthy, and easy enough that a 3 year old can do it!!







The finished product!! Don't think we'd win Top Chef with it or anything, but not too shabby if you ask me.

No comments: